MARCH 8, 2021 PROMPT
Where are some unusual places you’ve been? What was the most interesting or surprising thing you learned or discovered about those places?

Caught in a Rush Hour


    I did mention about the time I stayed in our country's capital - Manila City. It was my first time going and staying there to continue my two remaining years in college with the support of my grandmother. I mentioned about her in my autobiography that she is one of the sisters of my late grandfather on my father's side. Although she is my grandmother, I dearly called her "Auntie" because she isn't married until now and she somehow liked the idea.

    There was one time when my "real" Aunt (who live next door) invited me to come with them to the main city. The shoe company she is working with had a shoe display at the Mall of Asia Xpress Bazaar and they needed additional sales representative for the two-day event. I was hesitant at first because I'm not good at selling and I'm not fluent in Tagalog (the language they speak and our national language actually); but with the notion of the venue, how could I say no? It's the Mall of Asia and it was one of my dream places to visit. So, I agreed.

    When we arrived at the venue, I can't seem to breathe. I seemed to have drown amidst the towering buildings and skyscrapers. It was my first time to be surrounded with such immense structures and my first time to walk along with the vast crowd. I honestly hate crowds because they make me feel sick and suffocated. I was not prepared for that. When the mall opened, lots of people were coming in and they were like mad, hungry bulls ready to tackle anyone down. At first I was shaking and felt agitated when a customer came in and asked something. Good thing I had basic marketing know-how since I had taken few units of this during my first year in college. I struggled much in conversing with them but then eventually got my confidence back after a successful sale.

    When it was time to go home, it's almost evening and we're caught in a rush hour. We were like race horses running our way to the train station and the worst thing was, I didn't know how to use the turnstile (I mean we have that at school but theirs are different). I was just surprised at how congested the station was that I almost got caught on the train's closing doors. The inside was unbelievable! I was like hugging and being hugged by other passengers. That was a terrible experience that made me think of not going back on the second day.

    Well, second day came and it was time for us to leave. I hadn't prepared yet 'cause I didn't want to go back. However, my Aunt convinced me and said that we will go for a night stroll at the Manila Bay and do shopping after the event. And the company will also give our two-day pay right after the event ends. I was a little convince, so I acquiesced.

    It was not a bad day after all. We had a great night at the boulevard while I was enjoying the night lights of the city. The city transitioned completely from a busy, hot and tiresome day into a breezy, cold night. We roamed for a while, took our sumptuous dinner in a known restaurant, had some street foods and snacks and then went home.

    That's all I had experience during my travel to Mall of Asia. I learned that in a developed city, there are always great things that you can do and enjoy amidst all the hassles it gives. Thank you for reading. Cheers!
Share To:

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours

Thank you so much for dropping by. Please let me know your thoughts about this entry.