What lesson do you remember most vividly from your childhood?

MARCH 16, 2021 PROMPT
What lesson do you remember most vividly from your childhood?

Life's Lessons

 
        Okay, here we go again. I'll be bringing you back to my childhood years with so much fun and some boring experiences. I hope you will continue to read my entries. This time, it'll be more on discussing the many values I learned and how my parents disciplined me to become who I am now. I had been scolded many times, been shouted at many times, lectured many times, and had even tasted the whips of their anger -many times. But I am forever grateful with them for doing so. I know and they knew that I would never be like this without them. Please read on tho the following lessons I learned.
logo-whatihavelearned
 
1. To talk or not to talk, that is the question.

    I can't help but chuckle at the thought of this. We can never escape our mother's admonishing sermons every time we committed mistakes. She then starts her ceaseless rants and raves that are very irritating to the ears. Perhaps this is known for a typical Filipino mothers that when they ask something about what happened, why their children did such and why they disobeyed, they would get mad if the misbehaving children answered them. But they would also get furious if the children won't say a thing. I've experienced this and it's too hard. What I learned out from that experience was to accept my misdoings and asks for forgiveness. Mother knows best after all and it'd be a battle I can't win.

2. One... Two... Two and a half...

    These were the numbers we feared back then. Whenever we heard our father or mother said this, we couldn't do anything but obey 'cause once it falls on three, a pleasant punishment will be served. Well, just a simple punishment like kneeling on salt with a bible place on top of our palm in front of the altar. What I learned out from this was to be obedient and always think of the consequences of our misdeeds.

3. My father's mouth whistle reaches a mile...

    My father is good at mouth whistling. Once he noticed that we were still out of nowhere when the clock ticked six or when the sun had set, with just a whistle we would race our way home or else another pleasant punishment will be served. What I leaned out from this was to be responsible at all times and being punctual.

4. To complete my assigned tasks before mother arrives.

    Well, no one wants to see unfinished tasks after a very long day. Once mother noticed any unfinished tasks, we just earned our tickets toward a broomstick whips. And that's three whips each. What I leaned out from this was to be responsible in completing our assigned tasks and have the initiative to do our chores without their constant supervision.

5. Go home early after school, no buts and no ifs...

    Of course they know the time we go out from school and if we go home late, you know the drill. It's also about punctuality. And we still have chores waiting.


6. To never go against our superstitions.

    Superstitions are meant to be followed. And we surely did. Our young minds were so obliged and our failure to follow this would result to something undesirable and unfavorable. I used to believe in superstitions like the following (but I no longer believe these now):

a. Never sweep the floor at night time.
b. Never trim our nails at night.
c. Knocking the wood three times when discussing unfortunate events to avoid jinxing ourselves at some point in our lives without knowing why
d. Never break our mirror or we will suffer years of bad luck.
e. Stepping over my younger sibling will stunt his or her growth. And stepping over elders stunt my growth.
f. Going to bed with wet hair will make us blind.
g. Going to bed while we are hungry will trigger our souls to roam and search for food. Lost souls would bring one to death.
and a lot more.


    Through this, I leaned how to respect or norms and and followed our traditions wholeheartedly.

7. To never ever let my youngest sibling cry...

    When I was a teenager, I was the one tasked to babysit our youngest sibling. I didn't know why I was chosen when we have our eldest sister who's a perfect fit to look after our youngest. It was a tedious task I tell you. I can't go out with my friends, can't play with them, and can't do things I wanted to do. I always had to carry our youngest every time we go out and visit our grandma, and even going to fiestas and some important occasions. Well, I realized that my mother has so much trust in me to look after my sister. I learned how to take care individuals and how to be responsible in overseeing my siblings.

8. All new toys goes to the youngest...

    Well of course, the youngest child always have the biggest share with all things. Somehow, a parent's fave. But I learned how to stay humble and learned to let go of things deemed important to my love ones.

9. To never leave the cows in pasture when evening comes...

    We had to bring our cattle in their resting place and gave them a water to drink on. We don't want them to fall under someone's hands. Who would know if someone had the interest to take them. I learned how to take care for animals and other living creatures.


10. To kiss elder's hands - kin or strangers during evening...

    We were taught to be respectful and be courteous to our elders, even to those elders who are strangers to us. And tho show our respect through kissing their hands.


11. Peter's is for Peter...

    Well, what's mine is mine, what's for my siblings is for my siblings. We were taught on how to be contented and look after what we have and what we own. But of course, were also taught how to borrow things the right way and have the kindness to lend.

12. The last one to finish meals suffers the consequence...

    This one was fun. Whoever finished his meal last would do the dish washing. If only you could see how we race to finish our meals first. LOL. In here, I learned to be prompt and responsive in doing things to reach a certain goal.

13. To never put white and colored clothes together...

    Most of you knew this. We must never mix white clothes with those colored ones while doing laundry. Of course if you wish not your whites be painted with rainbow colors. In here, I learned how to organize things and have a clean working environment. The result will be rewarding.


14. To never run while she's with her whips, it will only fuel her anger...

    Another one with my mother in the middle of her sort of disciplinary agenda. But we had to face her and would never dare to run because letting her chase us means more punishment. This is about facing our fears and endure whatever pains life would inflict us. It's about being steadfast, firm and courageous at all times.

        I still have plenty of childhood lessons learned but it'd be a very long list. What my parents did in disciplining us served its purpose. We grow up along with their teachings and the values emblazoned in our minds, and I'll say that we've become better and educated individuals of the society.

        Thank you so much for reading this. Cheers!
 
Lesson-Learned.png 
 




Image Credits

https://ccolquittblog.wordpress.com/2018/09/10/life-lesson-101/
https://achuckallen.com/2017/12/13/what-i-learned-yesterday/
https://sayasblog.com/2017/10/11/lessons-from-the-halfway-mark/

Share To:

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours

Thank you so much for dropping by. Please let me know your thoughts about this entry.