MARCH 11, 2021 PROMPT
What qualities do you look for in a friend?
Are there any qualities you avoid?
What qualities about yourself do you think make a good friend?

Tell Me Who Your Friends Are


    "Tell me who your friends are and I tell you who you are" is one powerful adage commonly used by those individuals who make one less of a person. The truth hurts may sound cliche but it's the reality. People tend to use this to measure one's worth and to stereotype according to the friends they have. It becomes the standard in making friends with fellow human beings. I wonder why everyone has become more selective when it comes to befriending others and even "brand name" an individual according to the circle he's in. I understand that we all have our differences, we all have our likes and dislikes, we all have our preferences, different beliefs, culture and traditions; however, this doesn't mean that we have to limit our circle to the similarities and the common interest we share. We don't need to choose and handpick people to join in our circle. Instead, we have to embrace and accept each other's differences for a better life and a better world to live in.

    Nowadays, our society is way too powerful that they can change our personal perspective. They have this inevitable charm that will drag us to do and behave according to the standard they created. Society dictates what we need to do and whom to be with. We're like dumb driven cattle who can't do anything but obey. Perhaps the problem is with us. We are the ones carrying our yokes, therefore, we must learn to determine which way to go towards our destination. If we're able to endure their whips and fearlessly takes a detour out from this lane they laid for us, we're fortunate.

    Having said all that, I too, am guilty with it. But that's what life is and how life goes because we are living in an imperfect world. Even the slightest mistake we made would come to everyone's judgment. Thus, we have to be careful and be thorough in choosing individuals to come in our lives. We have to go for someone whom we can trust the most, someone who not only stays with us in times of happiness but also on our darkest moments in life. Because of these, we started choosing to stay with someone who has the qualities we expected him to have.

    Now, talking about the qualities I look for a friend or a close friend specifically. I need a nonjudgmental or accepting friend. A friend who accepts me wholly without any doubts and excuses is a friend whom I can trust. They are the ones who are honest and most respectful when it comes to my life's choices and preferences. I don't like to be a friend to someone who is arrogant. I don't want to appear harsh but I just hate pompous and self acclaimed individuals. I can be a friend to all but never to someone who has this.

    About my qualities to be a good friend, trust is what I can guarantee. Trust is a big word for me and I don't like my friend to feel the utmost pain of being betrayed. Of all the things broken, only trust is the hardest to mend. A glass once shattered can be glued and it will work, a pencil once broken can be sharpened and it will work, a heart might shatter in to pieces many times but it'll eventually heal in time and it can love again. But never with trust. Trust will create ripples to other qualities and this is why I value it much above all.

    May you found something worthy in this entry and I hope you enjoy your read. Thank you and Cheers!





Image Credit:

Share To:

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours

Thank you so much for dropping by. Please let me know your thoughts about this entry.